Friday, March 28, 2014

Jonah - The Prodigal's Brother???



But Jonah was greatly displeased and became angry.  He prayed to the Lord..."I knew that you are a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abounding in love, a God who relents from sending calamity."
Jonah 4:1-2

"The older brother became angry...So his father went out and pleaded with him.  But he answered his father, "Look! All these years I've been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends. But when this son of yours who has squandered your property with prostitutes comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him.""
Luke 15:28-30

The first time we read through the whole book of Jonah a few weeks ago, I was struck at the similarities between Jonah in chapter 4 and the Prodigal Son's brother in Luke 15.  Their stories leading up to the end are not the same.  Jonah disobeyed his Father while the "Brother" stayed home and was obedient to his father. 

But I imagine their stories become very similar as soon as their Father/father responds to the lost and disobedient ones that return with repentance and begging for forgiveness, hoping that the Father/father will respond with compassion.

As soon as the boys understand that the Father/father has shown mercy to the "sinners", they are both described as becoming "ANGRY".  They had either watched their father mourn the loss of his son, or heard the Father express His own anger and plan to completely do away with the nation that had hurt Him so deeply.  And then this...a complete turn around in love and forgiveness!

I look at these stories of Jonah and the "Brother" and immediately compare them to the Pharisees, which is exactly who the "Brother" was meant to represent in this Parable that Jesus told in Luke.  All three of these "characters" are judgmental and too worried about the rules and the law.  They want to see justice served to those who deserve it.  And, God is a just God; so when He dishes out love and mercy and compassion and forgiveness, it is almost shocking to stand by and watch NOTHING happen!

And I JUDGE these "characters" with my big heart that understands God's love and mercy and compassion and forgiveness...I JUDGE them thinking, "You don't get it."  But I would be lying if I said that I have never felt like God didn't dole out the punishment like I thought He should.  I have sat in the judgement seat more often than I'd like to admit.  I see injustice and I want it set right!  A modern day Super Girl right here!  My God and I will right the wrongs of the world!  But when I do this, I am missing the point...I don't get it...

"...I do not judge him. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save it."
John 12:47

Whether I judge the "characters" in these stories or the real people in my life, I become like Jonah.  And then my Father must set me down and say:

"...Should I not be concerned about ________?"
Jonah 4:11

Jesus did not come to judge, he came to save.  God is a God of second, twenty-second, and seventy-second chances!  And we are oh so thankful when we are the recipients of His great mercy.  But watching someone else, who in our eyes, has no business being forgiven, it is tough!  So we must trust that God knows what He is doing.  We must allow God to discipline His children in His way.  And how would we know if the one He's forgiving might not become someone great in His Kingdom.  All the Bible Greats were great sinners.  Abraham, Moses, David, Solomon, Peter, Paul...and not "little church lady sins."  These boys did it "right!"  And these are men we respect enough to follow what their words and stories teach us.

My take away: "Let God be God.  Let Him judge in His Way.  And worry about only about myself."  Easier said than done, sisters...I have kids!!!



This morning I am joining other women as we reflect on Jonah 3 and 4 at She Reads Truth.

6 comments:

Tabitha said...

A great comparison that I hadn't thought of before! Jonah definitely has a touch of the older brother about him! Really enjoyed reading your blog today. Tabitha x

Unknown said...

Such a great analogy. So true. When judgment isn't doled out the way I want it to be, I'm angry! Livid, bitter and seething. Why God Why? When God When? As a fellow Super Girl, I want justice and I want it to be swift. But not for me of course, for them. And back again I go to the "us" and "them" mentality. I'm Jonah every time. I'm Saul, holding the cloaks while bludgeoning others with "the gospel" (read:rules).

Great Blog!! Fellow She Reads Truth Follower

Unknown said...

I never thought of that comparison before! But so true! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

What an insightful comparison. Thanks for sharing, I loved it.

Ashley
Www.laughingwithashley.blogspot.com

Kelly said...

Wow, I never thought of that comparison before, but you are so right! Thanks so much for sharing!

Anonymous said...

What an insightful comparison! Very well said.
When we judge and try to do God's job, we forget that we are just as sinful and in need of mercy as those people we think deserve "justice." We're just like another "character," the servant in Matthew 18 who, after his debt of ten thousand bags of gold was canceled, turned around and beat up a another servant who owed him a fraction of that.
LOL @ "... not 'little church lady sins.' These boys did it 'right!'"