Monday, May 15, 2017

My Nemesis...

How I wish I felt about mornings with my girls...









How I actually feel about mornings with my girls...










I don't know what mornings are like at your house, but mine are peaceful and quiet and slow...

Until 7:00 am, when my children emerge from their rooms - noise and chaos following in their wake.

Inspired by a video I ran across a few months ago, I started writing down the things I say to my children in the morning - nearly EVERY.SINGLE.MORNING.


  •  Good morning sweet girl.
  • How did you sleep?
  • I love you.

  • Excuse me. If you are choosing to talk that way, then you can choose to go back into your room.
 
  • Are you getting ready or just messing around?
  • Are you getting ready?
  • Are you ready? 
  • Are you actually planning on getting ready today?
  • I'm not sure which part of "getting ready" you two are working on right now.
 

  • Are you doing anything constructive or just hanging out? 


  • Stop.
  • Stop it.
  • Stop. It.
 
  • If you can't get along, you need to separate.
  • Separate please.
  • Go to your rooms. 


  • Where is your shirt?
  • Why aren't you wearing a shirt?
  • Seriously. Put on a shirt.


  • Please don't leave your bloody Band-aid on the counter.

  • Is your lunch made?
  • Are your teeth brushed?
  • Did you brush your hair?
  • Are you sure?


  • There's still a situation happening down here.


  • Are you done with breakfast?
  • Why are your dishes still out?
  • Please put your dishes by the sink.
  • Put your dishes away! 


  • Are you doing what you are supposed to be doing?


  • Are the clothes on the floor clean or dirty?
  • Please put your clean clothes away.
  • Please put your dirty clothes in the laundry room.
  • Put your clothes where they belong! Please! 


  • That's gross. 

  • Give me a smoochie.
  • I love you.
  • Guess what...I love you.
  • I'm praying for you today.
  • Be kind. Make good choices. Be a good friend. I love you.

Yep. That's pretty much a normal morning in my home. And yes, apparently I ask about a million questions...it makes them own their behavior...? At least that's what I'm going with.

My girls are sweet, good girls, but something happens in the morning - it's like they lose their minds and forget who they are! And they seem to have no recollection of the expectations set before them the morning before. It's exhausting.

Sweet mama - the day-to-day, mundane, exhausting moments are worth it. Keep up the hard work. We are making a difference, even if we can't see it.

And, the good news is, if my kids are anything like me, they will have very few memories of the morning routine...
He is my inspiration for writing down what I say to my kids. I promise, you want to watch Flat Irons Community Church's video. It's one of my favorites!!! "It's right in front of your eyes!"

No comments: